Sunday, July 4, 2010

Welcome to "Filipino Food Sucks" - My Latest Blogging Adventure

I'm going to start this new project off by saying what every white person says before they are about to say something painfully racist:

"I'm not racists or anything but...."

...but Filipino food sucks! I have dated a couple Filipinas in my lifetime. Hell, I even married an American woman of Filipino descent. I spent a month of my life traveling around and living in the Philippines with her, and have been to countless barbecues and parties at her various Uncles and Aunties' houses over the years. For many of those years I pretended that I enjoyed Filipino cuisine...but I think I'm finally ready to admit that in actuality, I despise it.

And it's not that I don't enjoy ethnic foods. In fact, I am quite the 'foodie'. I enjoy Persian, Lebanese, Italian, Chinese, Japanese, Indian, Korean, German, French, Caribbean, Peruvian, Brazilian, Argentinean, Moroccan, Ethiopian...I could go on all night. And it's not that I'm squeamish about eating things that are 'strange' to your average, boring American. I have eaten raw beef, guinea pig, embryonic duck egg, frog legs, cow heart, foie gras, schmaltz, crickets, tongue, bone marrow, veal brain, boiled silk worms, pig lung, live octopus, and many other pieces of animals that may or may not sound appetizing.

My point is that I enjoy food and I'm not afraid to try new things and I gave Filipino food an honest chance. And while more often than I'd like to admit I have pretended to enjoy it and declared my "love of lumpia" or my "passion for pancit" - the truth is I hate most of it - and this Blog will serve as an outlet for my disdain.

Welcome to my latest culinary creation, "Filipino Food Sucks".

1 comment:

  1. It is not racists to dislike another cultures staple foods or cooking style. It is interesting how "white people don't understand what makes something racists. Insensitivity to others. But my comments here is not to offend anyone. I just prefer speaking the truth.

    The fact is that I agree with most of what you have said. I have given Filipino food the best chance I could. What I have found is that this culture encompasses many different nationalities. The problem is no matter what the nationality is, they still cook Filipino food. If you want Chinese go to a Chinese restaurant, correct? The problem with that is the owner is Chinese Filipino so the food is still Filipino.

    I to have had many different food styles from all over the world. Most are very similar to either West African, South American, European or Chinese. Aside from those it seems to me you find many variations. If you say American only a few years ago, you were talking about "generic white people's food". Now that whites are out numbered in the US, this analyses no longer fits. This is a good thing because America represents all of what the would has to offer.

    I have found very good food in the Philippines. Most of it seems to be in Manila where it is truly an international city. Other than going to Manila, I have enjoyed tuna jaw along with a few other items but for the most part "I hate Filipino food"!!!

    p.s. I to married a Filipina from the Philippines and we have lived in the Philippines for over three years now.

    ReplyDelete